Patents & Awards
"Bugle2" Phono $189 ($139 kit) Order now!
The Bugle2 was originally available as a
It is a simple phonostage capable of achieving very good sound quality,
comparable to far more expensive units. It is a second-generation circuit topology that uses low noise audio
opamps implementing passive, split equalization filters with a low output impedance. Gain can be
built for either 40dB or 60dB (suitable for MC cartridges).
The kit is a "full kit" with all parts included (not a "half kit"). For advanced DIYers only!
This should NOT be your first soldering project.
- Passive, split equalization
- MM and MC capable
- Clean, quiet solid-state design
- Quality components
- 120V/240V power supply included
|Gain||40dB (MM) / 60dB (MC)|
|Input Impedance||47k ohm (MM) / 100 ohm (MC)|
|Output Impedance||330 ohms|
|RIAA Response||+/-0.5dB from 30Hz to 30kHz|
|Bandwidth (-3dB)||10Hz to 1000kHz|
|SNR||64dB ref 0.5mV A-weighted|
|Size||5" x 3" x 1"|
- Just a note to say how impressed I am with my Bugle2. It's super-quiet - quieter than my EAR 834P.
It also seems to do a great job of passing on what's happening upstream - I've been tweaking the tracking
weight and suspension on my turntable, and the differences associated with each change are very easy to
hear, which leads me to believe the Bugle2 is very transparent.
- It's a GREAT product and slays the much more expensive Sutherland, easily!
- This was the first electronics kit I have ever built. There were absolutely no problems. Now I'm hooked!
- I finished the assembly this past weekend with the high(est) gain option ... sounds great so far, very
detailed and transparent vinyl reproduction. Previously I was using the switchable MM/MC preamp section of
a Luxman preamplifier, which I thought was very good to begin with. Your Bugle2 is far and away superior,
except perhaps in the signal-to-noise ratio. The built-in Luxman phono is just a bit quieter at higher
volume. With most program material that is irrelevant and the tradeoff in favor of the Bugle's detail
and transparency is worth it.
- This little thing truly rocks! As soon as the needle went down, I knew I had something special.
I'm getting gobs of gain and a very coherent, upfront presentation (compared to my tubed phono stage).
You have earned all the kudos and huzzahs for good reason and it's no wonder the Kickstarter project
- I received my Bugle 2 kickstarter phono this week and it is fabulous, represents terrific value and
so far matches well with my denon 301 II cart.
- I just hooked up the bugle2 and it is a considerable improvement from my old stage.
- Just reporting in that I just successfully completed my Bugle2 build! ... Your instructions were great
and I just took my time and after soldering the first side of resistors I got my groove on and my
soldering skills started to kick back in. And low and behold it just worked correctly the first time I
fired it up! It sounds absolutely fantastic. Very quiet. Very extended frequency response. ... Thank you
so much for giving this gift to DIY audiophiles. I think one can connect more with this hobby if one can
occasionally get some skin in the game and build something.
- It's completely awesome, but you probably know that already...
- Bugle2 is up and running. Tremendous presence on my middle-brow system ... Now I have to get a better
DAC for my CDs so it can compete!
- Many thanks Jim for the Bugle 2 kit which arrived today. I've built it up and must congratulate you
on producing such an exceptional phonostage design. I like the nice touches like using the inductors in
the power supply, the sensible layout and components, but most of all, I like the sound that this phonostage
is capable of delivering. It comprehensively betters my previous EAR 834 phonostage and is easily on par
with the inbuilt high quality Albarry stage which I use for my MC cartridges via the Albarry MC gain stage.
- Jim, I receieved it, plugged it in, and love it. No hum. I hate hum. Hate it ... Great choice of opamp.
That particular one is very open and detailed. The bugle2 is fast and agile but no edge. Very dynamic but
smooth and liquid at the same time. Treats noise as a triviality such that it does not distract. Still
there but somehow sent to the edges. Very detailed, too. So many pluses and not one negative. There really
is no competition against this little thing. This is with no break-in time, right out of the box.
- Just received it today and all I can say is WOW!!! Bypassing my Onkyo AVR and using the Bugle 2
essentially transforms my 30 year old basic Technics turntable into a wonderful sounding system. I will
eventually get a Music Hall 5.1 and then I am sure the sound will be enhanced even more. Now I got the
- Just started to use it yesterday. You promised me it will sound 10X better than my NAD 2 phonostage.
Well, you were all wrong! It is 100X better. WOW! All of the sudden the contrabass has notes and not one
long whooo, it is so detailed! It is like leaving the traffic jam out to the open.